Jonathan French wrote:

> > A new user comes along (with or without UNIX/network tech), boots with
> > two disks (yes two), and then goes through this initial setup step by
> > step, with a boot disk to be configured in hand.  Once this is all
> > done, then the disk is backed up to another, the configuration saved,
> > and the user reboots with this ONE disk for a router.
>
> To extend this a bit further, how about having the setup disk be a
> bootable cdrom?  Then you could fit all the modules & packages on the
> setup disk, and put just what the user needs on the router disk.

This will certainly be considered.  The goal with the development
version of Oxygen is to be able to use it as a bootable CDROM image
with VERY little modification.

So one of my goals certainly, will be to allow selection of modules
from a disk somewhere, which could just happen to be a CDROM.

> Even worse - for the "Expert" mode, include gcc, the kernel source and
> the kernel configs for specific apps so the user can recompile kernels
> without having to set up and maintain a seperate machine for that
> purpose.  Or perhaps the CDROM would set up a generic hard disk install
> for developers with only the tools we need for LRP development rather
> than a full blown distribution.  To update several packages I had to
> search about to get the correct distribution, source, patches, etc, and
> when everyone is ready to move to 2.2, I'd have to go through all of
> that again...

Ack!  That's a whole new distribution and environment and such.

I might add that people have already gone to Linux 2.2, and people are
moving to Linux 2.4.  Of course, if you are looking at glibc 2.2 -
well, my view is that sooner or later people will have to move on.
I'm starting to create glibc 2.1 based applications, as that is MUCH
easier right now.

Not only that, but it's much simpler, as I can do this (under Red Hat,
Mandrake, or Best):

# rpm --rebuild some-app-3.4.src.rpm

...and it goes through everything, applies all patches, and creates a
binary library in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS compiled to the current
environment.  So I can get the new source RPMs, rebuild them, and go.

I might say that one can keep creating glibc 2.0 apps or glibc 2.1 as
long as they want; they still run under newer libraries - just not
under older ones.