> A couple of requests.
>
> 1. It would be useful to integrate one the extended scripts unto
> DachStein. (You probably already thought of this :-)

<snip>

> So it would be nice for DachStein to be EigerStein2beta workalike
> (e.g. with the network defaults as I mentioned above) with the
> added functionality of the extended scripts already in there in case
> the user decided he or she needed them.

Yes, this is planned.  The scripts released with Dachstein will likely be
the last of the 'Mountain' firewall scripts, as future plans are to support
several pre-packaged firewall scripts (seawall, rcf, &c).

> 2. One irritation it would be nice to fix (though it may go beyond the
> "quick upgrade to EigerStein2Beta philosophy) would be to
> somehow extend the 256 character limit of the syslinux.cfg
> APPEND= line. When I add a second drive to PKGPATH and add
> serial support, I'm over the limit. I can't do both. (I recall that David
> did something in Oxygen to get around this.)

The 256 character limit is a kernel restriction, so is unlikely to change
soon.  It is possible to load non-critical LRP packages AFTER the kernel has
booted, from a config file stored on disk, dramatically reducing the size of
the LRP= part of the kernel command line.  I believe this is what David is
doing with O2.

> Finally, a quick question. If all I want to do is add a simple DMZ to
> my EigerStein2Beta network via a third ethernet board for a web
> server at the public IP of the LRP box (which is using dhcp), which
> is better:
>
> 1. upgrade to the extended scripts 1.0
> 2. upgrade to the extended scripts 1.1
> 3. upgrade to the CD scripts
>
> It looks to me like the extended scripts 1.0 have enough
> functionality, but it also looks to me like the DHCP section in those
> scripts doesn't have improvements you added to EigerStein2Beta.
> If I recall correctly, bothe extended scripts 1.1 and the CD scripts
> have the newer DHCP code. But I could easily just paste that
> section into network.conf from scripts 1.0. As near as I can tell
> that's the only issue.

You're correct...the 1.0 scripts support what you want.  I'd stick with the
1.0 scripts and paste in any dhcp mods you need.  The 1.1 scripts require
you manually edit ipfilter.conf, as a couple IP addresses are hard-coded
(this will be fixed in the Dachstein scripts).

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net