At 11:32 PM 10/31/01 -0800, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
>On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Ray Olszewski wrote:
>I tried adding this line and compiling it on my glibc2.2 workstation (I
>don't have a glibc2.1 dev setup), and now instead of segfaulting it
>prints a bunch of "Problem with ping - returned -1" lines followed by the
>ip/macs of the Linux boxen on my LAN, but sans the Winboxen.  So yes, it
>does correct the problem, but there may remain some work, depending
>whether the glibc2.1 vs. 2.2 is causing the ping to fail, or whether there
>is a problem in the packet generation that Linux ignores but Windows
>doesn't.  I don't think the "Problem" message should be there, either.

This "Problem" message comes from gatping itself, reporting an error return
from sendto(), and it indicates that you are running it as a user other than
root. You will note that to work, the regular "ping" app has the setuid bit
set (so it can actually send the ICMP packets). gatping doesn't; you have to
be root (or make it setuid, I suppose, though I've not actually done this)
to use it properly.

The result at the end has nothing to do with any characteristics of Windows.
It just reflects what is already in your arp table. What's happening, almost
surely, is that gatping is sending out NO pings, so the arp table has in it
only what it might have for other reasons. gatping finishes its work by
reading the contents of /proc/net/arp and displaying them.