Ok, let's start:

I grabbed a RedHat 7.0 CD and installed a custom system with
only the 'Kernel devel, Devel and Utilities' selected.

After a sucessfull install, I booted and installed the extra
'compat' rpms. As a note, one should use the RPM's stated in
http://www.redhat.com/knowledgebase/glibccompat/building.html

Ok, now I have the required tools to start working!

My goal was to compile the newest pppd. A small app but still
it was a good test as any...

So, the RedHat documentation is a bit scarse for a non-guru
such as myself :)... This is what I have done in order for it
to work:

export PATH=/usr/i386-glibc20-linux/bin:$PATH
export CC=i386-glibc20-linux-gcc

NOTE: the RedHat docs say 'PATH=/usr/i386-glibc20-linux/bin;$PATH'
this is not correct!!! you should use ':' instead of ';'  !!!!

After these two exports, I just './configure' and 'make' and voliá!
(that's French :)

All done!

Now, for another sanity check, I copied the binaries in two sets,
one stripped, one normal and copied them to a floppy.

Boot LEAF! (mine is a heavily modified ES2B)

Mount floppy, shut down pppd, change the binaries for the new ones,
get pppd back up, ping leaf.sf.net, modem wakes up dials to my
provider, I have full access to the 'net with the new binaries!

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!    no seg faults :) :) :) :)

I'm so happy I decided to let you know!

p.s. I analised the Makefiles to make sure they did'n overwrite
the above mentioned exports.

p.s.2. Please make any comments back to the list please.

Luis Correia