Jack Coates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>And for this reason I'm thinking that versioning in the filename is a
>convenient nice-to-have. If the version and author attributes are kept
>on the web server that should be enough to enable accurate downloads,
>though there are still troubleshooting issues. Determining what version
>an end-user is using will require looking at package sizes.

Jack, I like your idea alot.

Does anyone see any advantage to adding some packager/versioning information
inside the /var/lib/lrpkg/<pkgname>.version file?  I think the file is
supposed to have the package version number.  What if a second line had the
packager's name/version/tag/vfat package name/whatever.

Scripts that use the file to get the version number would have to grab just
the first line, but putting the additional info in the file would allow the
original package info to be saved even if the target system was a fat-only
box.

Just a thought.