David Douthitt wrote:
> I have a strong faith in the current format - even if we package up
> "newfangledsoftware 2.2.2" as a *.lrp with glibc 2.0, it'll still work
> in that LRP 2.9.4 somebody's running.
>
> If we add a new file (*.desc) to the /var/lib/lrpkg directory, the
> package STILL works in that LRP 2.9.4 ...

I like. :-)  ( you are right .desc is a MUCH better place to put this
stuff than .version.)

One question, though - What about adding a "Requires" tag?
 snort.lrp and tcpdump.lrp may both require libpcap.lrp
 newfangledsoftware 2.2.2 with glibc 2.1 requires glibc 2.1,
 and might segfault under 2.0.7.

Maybe there's no way to automate the requires bits of the desc file
like rpm does, but at least the package maintainer could give hints as
to anthing else the new lrp might need.