I'm trying to set up Linux 2.4.16 with the Linux Progress Patch (LPP)
on my desktop before I try it on a floppy...

The system has been trouble.... Even though this system came with
2.4.3, it still won't boot right with 2.4.16 and LPP.  First it came
up and said that /dev/hda7 had no superblock on it - except that it
was perfectly fine.  I figured that devfs was the bug in this case....

So I took it out - now it works.  Side note: devfs was supposed to
solve problems - but I used it and it created them.

Now when the system boots, I get the nice boot screen (from LPP) and
all works until init starts - which messes up the nice boot screen.
Few lines more and the screen clears and starts giving messages in
blue.  In short order, it is obvious that the entire filesystem - ALL
mount points - are mounted read-only (!).

Anyone know what is going on?

Second question: I STILL can't get 2.4.16 under 500k in size - I can't
even get it under 600k - even compressed.  Even though I strip
practically everything out.  Why is that?  Do I really have to give up
over 100k of floppy space to the Linux kernel?
--
David Douthitt
UNIX Systems Administrator