< -- snip -- >

> > Second question: I STILL can't get 2.4.16 under 500k in
> > size - I can't even get it under 600k - even compressed.
> > Even though I strip practically everything out.  Why is
> > that?  Do I really have to give up over 100k of floppy
> > space to the Linux kernel?

I've been running 2.4.16 with the GRsec patch version 1.9 since November
28th with no problems. The size of my compressed kernel is 554911 Bytes. It
is booting from an initrd with no classic LRP patches. The only thing
different, probably, is that I haven't compiled in the hooks for the
majority of modules and I have all of my drivers, including IDE disk access,
compiled into the kernel.

Andrew