> I studied why Charles coded this the way it is and decided that this
> simple rc script is probably the best way.  Since the current mechanism
> bases the backup destination on whence the package last came -- this is
> a good thing -- I don't see an easy fix.  Without some manual
> configuration, how will the system know -- at startup -- where you
> prefer to backup packages?
>
> Of course, it is possible that the post-startup backup process can test
> backup destinations for write-ability.  Is this complication really
> warranted?
<snip>
> I wonder what Charles has up his sleeve?

You pegged why the existing system currently works the way it does.

The best I've come up with for changing it is a slight modification of your
recommendation, above.  The initrd script would look at where the package
was last loaded from (ie the existing default backup path).  If that
location was *NOT* writable, the package path would be traversed to find the
first writable location, which would be used as the default backup path.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net