On 2/14/02 at 4:28 PM, Serge Caron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:34:18 -0600
> >From: David Douthitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Re: [Leaf-devel] Re: Standards and due process :-)
> >To: LEAF Development <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> >On 2/13/02 at 8:16 PM, Serge Caron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >How's this different from Oxygen and Dachstein and how
> >they read their configuration data from the floppy?  I
> >can create a package which contains nothing but
> >configuration files, put it onto a floppy disk, and boot
> >the Oxygen Bootable CDROM using that configuration....

> The point is that this default store is loaded last,
> overwriting anything loaded from ANY package. It is not
> package specific and it is all inclusive (as far as /etc
> and /var go).

The Oxygen config.lrp is the same exact thing - except instead of
pulling from /etc and /var, it pulls all configuration files.  Just
like yours, it is loaded LAST.  That's what makes it a configuration
file; it doesn't matter where in the boot process it is found; it is
still loaded last (saved in /tmp and loaded from there...)

> >For booting purposes the use of root.lrp is dead;
> >however, a script to convert root.lrp to a root.gz is
> >practically a neccessity.  The LRP patches can't be used
> >on any kernel newer than 2.4.5 last I heard; so this
> >kills the use of a *.tar.gz file for booting.

> Am I to understand that this will be a ONE-TIME script,
> run as part of an installation procedure, or is this a
> viable option that users sticking with 2.2 kernels will
> have in the long run?

Neither.  This would be general purpose script to be used this way:

# cd /tmp
# apkg -c root
# mkfs.image root | gzip -c - > /mnt/floppy/root.gz

...or some variation.  The script I'm refering to is here called
mkfs.image.

> >a real Repository would be with hyperlinks, descriptions,
> >home pages, etc.... and requires a new package extension.
> > I've not done as much as I ought, but it mainly uses a
> >new file /var/lib/lrpkg/<pkg>.desc which contains all of
> >the information....

> Grrreat! Here is the dope for
> http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/scaron/nistnet.lrp

The file I mentioned would be included in nistnet.lrp, and would be
similar to:

Name: nistnet
Version: 2.0.10
Group: Network/Diagnostics

...and so forth.  I'm going from memory; check
http://leaf.sf.net/pub/oxygen/development/ for more information.

As I said, it needs work.
--
David Douthitt