-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of guitarlynn
Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2002 5:30 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Leaf-devel] q regarding an ftp site for leaf-project.org

On Thursday 28 February 2002 21:26, David Douthitt wrote:
> On 2/28/02 at 1:52 AM, guitarlynn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > PicoBSD might as well not even exist anymore.
>
> I HAD to reply to this.... :-)

Hehe, I figured this might peek some interest  ;-)

> PicoBSD is now an official part of the FreeBSD distribution, and is
> included in the source tree.  The web pages haven't been updated in a
> LONG time.  There also are very few, if any, floppy disk images to
> download.  The expected thing to do is download the FreeBSD sources.
>
> However, there ARE the older PicoBSD images, plus at least two floppy
> images that I've found based on PicoBSD.  One is a cluster "director"
> - that is, it handles the initial requests to a cluster and doles out
> the traffic to the appropriate web server or whatever.

So they are still developing PicoBSD, but simply not posting any
updates .... even in the way of information to the project page???

I knew it had been included in FreeBSD, but I haven't loaded a
late version. I have used OpenBSD and been happy with it, so
maybe I should take a go at a later version of FreeBSD. I just
figured they would keep a current changelog or something to
that effect on their homepage.  :-(.

> > Solaris sucks on an i86, but rules on a Sparc.
>
> I heard that 2.6 was alright, but 7 and 8 are slow because they
> expect SMP.

I can verify that 7 and 8 run very slooooow on i86!
At the time it came out, there was very limited NIC drivers too.
It is a great version to learn Solaris on in any respect and
definately worth the experience, but not for a production machine.

On a different note, have anyone come across a open source
RIP simulator???
--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!