> Problem description:
> I want the Dachstein router to send mails, e.g ip-address after
> reboot.
> ipmail should do it, but I get an error "error parsing sender
> address"

What's ipmail?  Exactly where did this error show up?

> I think that $user in POSIXness.mail is empty until a user is logged
> in. Therefor we get a empty sender address.
>
> As a workaround I added a new line to POSIXness.mail after
> user=${USER:-$LOGNAME}
> I inserted
> user=${USER:-root}

That second line should be user=${user:-root}

> to replace the empty user with a valid name/sender.
>
> Four questions:
> 1) Is my analysis wrong? Whatelse could be the problem?

???

> 2) If I'm correct, is there a better approach to fix this?

???

> 3) If not, will this workaround raise other problems?

With the change above, it shouldn't...

> 4) If not, will Charles add that to POSIXness.mail?

Probably...it shouldn't hurt anything.

BTW:  In what context are you running the mail command, with neither USER or
LOGNAME defined?  I'm presuming this is running in an init script?