First, a point of order.  In my view of the world, there are two major
issues currently being discussed:

- Modifications to sh-httpd (the actual web server) to enhance it's
ability to be used as the front-end for a web based configuration tool

- The modification, extension, or complete re-writing of the html pages
and cgi scripts that currently makeup the "weblet" status application
that currently ships with Dachstein, allowing enhanced web based
monitoring and even configuation.

I think it would probably help prevent confusion if mods to the web
server itself refer to sh-httpd, while issues related to making html/cgi
code to monitor or configure the system use the weblet moniker.

With that out of the way, I completely agree with the idea of forming a
"group" to work on the weblet portion of the configuration problem.
This can probably be done with very little effort completely within the
bounds of the existing LEAF SF project.  With a CVS directory somewhere
in the existing LEAF tree, folks can share code and updates, and even
developers w/o LEAF SF developer status can check-out code and posts
diffs to the leaf-devel mailing list (much like the way the busybox list
works...I've sent in several bug-fixes to busybox that got incorperated
into the main code-base, but am not a registered busybox developer).  I
think the leaf-devel mailing list will work fine as a communications
mechanism for now, and we can always make a new leaf mailing list if the
traffic gets too high for the leaf-devel list (unlikely, at least for
now).

On the sh-httpd front, I don't think there will be a lot of work
required, and sh-httpd is already in the LEAF CVS tree, so probably a
few leaf-devel posts (and a lot of beta-testing) is all that's required.

I can commit to help with the sh-httpd mods, and I think I can improve
the performance of cgi scripts dramatically.  I can probably help with a
bit of the html/cgi scripting (ie general architecture and maybe solving
any thorny scripting issues that crop up), but I don't have time to
commit to a huge chunk of the project.

It looks like Richard's generally headed in the right direction with his
mods to the existing html/cgi code, especially with the abstraction of
the content.  Has anyone else made much progress along these lines, or
should work start on using Richard's framework to start building a
web-config architecture?

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net