On Wednesday 28 August 2002 12:56, Eric Wolzak wrote:
(snip)
I agree with your summary Eric.

> Advantage of webmin, there are all kinds of
> modules. Adaption is much easier than building
> from scratch.
>
> Disadvantage memory and CPU.

I would be against using Perl personally.
Porting Webmin would not necessarily be any
better or faster than starting from scratch IMHO.

> Alternatively, use the same fields and write the
> engine in shell.script or php using sh-httpd. or a
> small server (boa, thttpd)

It can be done with sh-httpd. Mosquito has used thttpd,
but thttpd is considerably larger (and more versitile).
My vote would be to use sh-httpd w/POST patch.

> Advantage probably, less memory and cpu consuming.

> I think any how, this should be a project for a group, who wants to
> contribute.

I agree here as well. A group along these lines was discussed ~2 months
ago. A couple of people were working on formatting Weblet and reworking
it and I have developed a shell-atmosphere that will allow generating
conf files from either GET or POST sh-httpd atmosphere. Modularization
has always been in the plan, however nothing but test coding exists at
this time being as I needed to jump through a few hoops to get the CGI
environment working with sh-httpd.

Anyone who would like to volunteer to work on any ideas, code re-work
within the existing Weblet, or developing the new code-base for CLI/WWW
configuration integration would be welcome to participate. In previous
discussions with Mike N and Charles, the use of the leaf-devel
mailing-list is encouraged for this project. This project would be
beneficial to work under the LEAF umbrella and stay independant
of releases. As everyone else was working with a Bering base, I am
presently working with Bering as well (though I have worked on a
Dachstein base as well). I am presently starting work on the framework.

I believe that this is more of a devel topic, so I am moving the thread
to leaf-devel. Is anyone ready to work on and/or discuss any sections
of this???

Thx,
~Lynn
--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!