> > One thing to note is that when I try the install GRUB from floppy,
> > it fails to find (the optional?) fat_stage1_5 even though it's
> located in
> > /boot/grub/ on the FAT partition, because the file name is cut-off after
> > the eigth character (is there a way around this BTW?). Has anybody used
> > GRUB with a hard drive succesfully? Any help/info would be greatly
> > appreciated.

I'm booting with grub, but I'm using ext2 and reiserfs. I had quite some
problems with smaller partitions (20MB) on a DoM with different filesystems.
So far, ext2 was the only one I tried that worked. Though I might try FAT32,
the Problem with FAT could indeed be the missing stage1_5 file.

> There are people successfully booting LEAF with Grub and LiLO.
> The DOS trunciation wouldn't happen if the /boot partition is compressed
> in the initrd.lrp and/or root.lrp. I'm not aware of any of the
> filesystem in
> LEAF that isn't compressed in a *.lrp other than the kernel and syslinux.

Grub doesn't see a compressed file system. It needs to read the
/boot/grub/stage2, /boot/grub/menu.lst, /linux and /initrd.lrp files
directly from a filesystem. It could, theoretically, read the stage1_5 files
from somewhere else, as those are directly written to tracks on the
HD/whatever.

- Alex