Mike Noyes wrote about "Re: Light a candle, curse the glare (was: Re: [leaf-devel] ML
volume)":

> Ray,
> One of our project members sent me a message off-list expressing a
> concern over leaf-user list volume. I have no idea how many of our users

No need to keep it secret - that developer was me. I receive
about 50% of my support requests via e-mail. That's not much and
the total traffic would be much lower than leaf-user's. However,
I don't want to force those people to subscribe to the mailing
list and at the same time I don't like to answer the same
questions again.

> > All of that is a Baid-Aid, though. The real question that needs to be asked
> > is how the people who *answer* requests for help want to do it. That's
> > mainly the branch lead developers; a few branch-agnostic developers like

And the reason might be because knowledgeable users unsubscribe
from the mailing lists due to lack of time to wade through high
traffic. If the traffic would have been lower they would stay on
the list and provide answers on a "day-in-day-out" basis. At
least that's the case with me - in case of high traffic lists I
usually just subscribe, send my question, wait for answers, and
then leave.  However, in case of low traffic lists, I usually
don't mind staying and answering questions myself as time
permits.

> > Personally, my interest here is in helping people who want to develop their
> > own skills and knowledge, people who will some day cross to the other side
> > of the line and become the next generation of developers, troubleshooters,
> > and the like. People like many of you here on leaf-devel. In contrast,
> > people who want only to consume Open Source software do not interest me as
> > much, and they can turn to paid sources of support, buy closed source
> > products like Linksys routers, or endure the inconvenience of having to
> > read (or delete) "too many" messages. This interest leads me to favor a
> > general list like leaf-user, which has the virtue of exposing its
> > subscribers to a wide range of LEAF and routing problems, not just offering
> > a source of free, personal tech support.

My reasons for publishing WISP-Dist were different, though.
First is to share benefits that I get from Open Source software,
and secondly, to help people roll out broadband access to
Internet where it is not currently available. I agreed to join
LEAF project because I hoped that it would help present WISP-Dist
to a wider audience. I don't have a problem giving support to
people who don't have a lot of free time or knowledge - if their
questions are reasonable, of course.

--
Best Regards,
Vladimir