At 10:36 PM 10/10/2003 -0500, Lynn Avants wrote:
For those who may or may not be following the SCO suit against
IBM for Linux infringement on UNIX code, this may prove to
be of interest.

SGI has also had a lawsuit filed by SCO alledging similar
source code infringements as what has been filed in the
IBM case. SGI not only compared their own code against
UNIXware, but also several Linux kernels. All likely
violations that were found in 2.4.x kernels appear to have
been removed in the 2.4.22 kernel source.

It might be a good idea to update all LEAF images running
2.4 kernels to a 2.4.22 or later kernel to avoid any possible
legal implications for commercial use in the US. The 2.2.x kernels
appear to have clean code. It seems likely that many of the
possible violations that were found in the 2.4.x kernels may have
been contributed by SCO/Caldera employee(s).

The legal issues in the SCO suit are sufficiently obscure that I would hesitate to offer any substantive opinions about them here. I do have opinions about them, like most of us, but they are decidedly non-expert, suitable perhaps for dinner table chitchat but not for giving people serious advice about how to run their businesses.

It does seem to me, though, that if the issue is the suitability of LEAF for "commercial use in the US", we might quite reasonably leave the work Lynn suggests to people interested in such uses, not the mix of US-based hobbyists and European developers who now maintain, improve, and support LEAF.