Hello All,

After my first mail, there were a few support offerings, that I am very
gratefull too.
in two of them the question came why not combine efforts.
Yesterday, I discussed this topic with Mike also ( chat).
I told him, i will think a few days about the future of bering.
interesting is that my thoughts over the last few days have come up in your
last mails.
facts are.
1.Updateing and compiling new programms for Glibc is becoming more difficult.
2 Glibc 2.0 isn't updated anymore.
3. Uclibc is more compact and more "modern".
4. Getting two entirely parallel branches that differ only in library isn't
worth the work spend on it.
5. The number of packages that will compile against Uclibc is increasing, and
for the "floppy user", all possible packages probably compile.
6. I am not that good at adapting old librarys to new programs ;(

The conclusions I came up to so far are.
1. getting the route towards the bering-uclibc team, as I think that is where
the future lies.
2.  Kernel development can be done together. (2.4.23 , and later 2.6.0)
3. The solution I think Charles also suggested.  using uclibc for the core.
For  special applications that won't compile use another library. but that
isn't a floppy item anymore.
4 I still am interested in creating the Bering-light. or lite ? sounds good
shortly before christmas ;)

Things I am uncertain about.
1.can  the group still using the old library be "left alone" with the older
package.
2. Is it an option to bring the "new" packages with a  script to help with
replaceing for uclibc.
3 how many people use the old bering, and are willing to update anyhow.

and some other questions I haven't  formulated enough.

And of course I agree to the  friendly words from martin and the rest of the
uclibc team about  working together

> In short, I would like to see Bering to live on for quite a while, with
> enough developers helping Eric, so he doesn't burn out. I would also
> like to see more work being done _together_ (between the Bering and
> Bering uClibc crews), to make life easier for both Bering and Bering
> uClibc developers. If we can make use of eachother's work (like has been
> done for the kernel in the past), I think all sides will benefit.

Regards

Eric Wolzak