sqlite would certainly work, but the cdb utility would need to be rewritten in C or C++ and would no longer be hand editable. That is why the current version is written to use the filesystem as the backing store. In my mind, advanced users would be able to hand-tune the cdb repository, then hand-run the trigger scripts, thus saving them from the peril of using a graphical user interface. That is, of course, in my mind.