On Tuesday 06 July 2004 03:58 pm, Erich Titl wrote:
[...]
> Some time ago I tried to use busybox ash instead of the installed one on
> Bering 1.2+. My goal was to get more space for possibly a more recent
> gclibc library and more modern package versions. I quickly found out that
> the ash syntax used in, for example, the backup routines did not work.
> I guess in order to be able to use different shells we should stick to an
> extreme low level of the possible tricks in the scripting _dialect_ so
> porting issues will pop up less frequently. This may sound like heresy in
> the ears of shell afficionados but will enhance the chance to use different
> interpreters.
>
> No idea how much work it would take to get up to level alone with busybox
> ash, let alone with another interpreter.

David D rewrote Oxygen from the ground up in his last release to use BB-ash.
The problem we basically face is the behavior of the glibc-2.0.7 Ash-
(stripped) is not compatible with any other version of Ash known to mankind.
This is the reason that David had to re-write init and other core files when
he made the switch. That is likely another reason why we are still using the
same binary that is so ancient. I don't know what the difference is, but
everything else I've compiled has had syntax conflicts with one package or
another (if it even boots correctly to begin with). IIRC, UClibc-team has made
several corrections when they were first starting the project. I also seem to
recall that they are using BB-Ash, so this is likely the best place to look at
using a different (and compatible) shell.
--
~Lynn Avants
Linux Embedded Appliance Firewall Developer