Erich Titl wrote:

Hi

At 21:55 06.07.2004, Lynn Avants wrote:
On Monday 05 July 2004 07:44 pm, Mike Noyes wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 16:14, Chad Carr wrote:
> > I say we all take a look at it, stamp it with
> > approval or disapproval, and move on to more pressing questions, like
> > when to back up changes and how the hell to write a full-featured
> > templating system in the 92k stripped down /bin/sh from Oxygen!
>
> Chad,
> Dash may help in this area.
>
>         http://gondor.apana.org.au/~herbert/dash/
>         DASH is a POSIX-compliant implementation of /bin/sh that aims to
>         be as small as possible.

DASH is not compilable for glibc-2.0.7.

Some time ago I tried to use busybox ash instead of the installed one on Bering 1.2+. My goal was to get more space for possibly a more recent gclibc library and more modern package versions. I quickly found out that the ash syntax used in, for example, the backup routines did not work.
I guess in order to be able to use different shells we should stick to an extreme low level of the possible tricks in the scripting _dialect_ so porting issues will pop up less frequently. This may sound like heresy in the ears of shell afficionados but will enhance the chance to use different interpreters.

No idea how much work it would take to get up to level alone with busybox ash, let alone with another interpreter.

My understanding is the busybox ash comes from the same source the ash used in LRP came from (although I think there are a few differences, such as command line history, that are implemented differently), and should work fine with LEAF.

IIRC, busybox ash has several compile-time options to allow for smaller size (by omitting "lesser-used" features that the complex scripts in LEAF tend to rely on). Are you sure you had everything enabled when you built the busybox ash and it still didn't work with Bering?

--
Charles Steinkuehler