Jon Clausen wrote:

Am I reading /var/lib/lrpkg/root.dev.mk correctly?

AFAICT everything it does sends any output to /dev/null (except possibly the
cd-rom stuff right at the end).

Assuming that it is meant to work silently (ie no logging), then there
shouldn't be a problem with swapping the code in /linuxrc so that /var/log
gets mounted *after* devices are created?

I ask because:

Wanting to log to harddisk, I had to do the above. It worked nice (thread on
leaf-user ends with: "Harddisk: device deceased") apart form the fact that
the disk died.

I subsequently got a personal request to explain how I did it.

This all made me think that it would be nice to 'formalize' the
functionality. So I concocted some code to parse a
"log_dev=/dev/hdXn:fstype" -statement in /proc/cmdline.

Obviously an actual mount can't take place before the device to mount is
created.

The code seems to do what it's supposed to, but before I submit it here for
review, it seemed like a good idea to get it straight whether or not there
would be a problem with mounting /var/log after root.dev.mk runs.

There should be no problem making the root devices prior to mounting /var/log. In fact, in the latest init scripts (see Bering uClibc or my not-quite-released Bering-CD), the creation of block devices occurs prior to mounting the *ROOT* ramdisk (to allow reading of leaf.cfg and support run-time configuration of ramdisk size).

--
Charles Steinkuehler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------------------------------- SF.Net email is sponsored by Shop4tech.com-Lowest price on Blank Media 100pk Sonic DVD-R 4x for only $29 -100pk Sonic DVD+R for only $33 Save 50% off Retail on Ink & Toner - Free Shipping and Free Gift. http://www.shop4tech.com/z/Inkjet_Cartridges/9_108_r285