On Wed, 11 Aug, 2004 at 06:30:19 -0500, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> Jon Clausen wrote:

<snip>
> >The code seems to do what it's supposed to, but before I submit it here for
> >review, it seemed like a good idea to get it straight whether or not there
> >would be a problem with mounting /var/log after root.dev.mk runs.
>
> There should be no problem making the root devices prior to mounting
> /var/log.

O.k. Thanks for confirming.

> In fact, in the latest init scripts (see Bering uClibc or my
> not-quite-released Bering-CD), the creation of block devices occurs
> prior to mounting the *ROOT* ramdisk (to allow reading of leaf.cfg and
> support run-time configuration of ramdisk size).

Right.

So if I contribute something to mount /var/log on disk, that would also work
"out-of-the-box"-ish with those... (I guess?)

Next on *my* agenda is to decide whether to make

1: A 'unified' "log=" that wil parse both
   - "log=xM" (to replace the original "log_size=xM" option)
   - "log=/dev/hdXn:fstype"

or

2: Keep "log_size", add "log_dev" and make them mutually exclusive (perhaps
   with a preference for log_size if both should be present in cmdline)

I like "1:" better, but maybe it's a bit too ambiguous?

"2:" on the other hand is probably simpler to write.

Decisions, decisions... :)

Comments very welcome

/Jon
--