Mike Noyes wrote:

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 13:51, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
Mike Noyes wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 11:25, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
>> Mike Noyes wrote:
>> > Can RDD work through a secure serial line?
> > A machine isolated from the network through a serial line connection for
> logging purposes.
> Since you can't run arbitrary commands or communicate via networking, if you want to monitor the 'health' of the LEAF box (without adding a seperate, network connected monitoring box, which is what I'd probably do)

Charles, Point taken. I apologize for the misguided question.

Now you're confusing me...your question wasn't misguided at all.

The main reason I'd put monitoring on a more connected box is because I'd probably want to access it from my desktop web-browser, or via the internet when I'm traveling, and the primary reason to setup logging over a serial link is to have a completely disconnected machine that (presumably) can't be compromised by an attacker keeping accurate logs. Also, in several instances, I'm running the monitoring programs on machines very remote to the actual firewalls (try running a serial line from California, Colorado, or Kansas to Texas!).

If you're happy using the logging machine's console (and pretty much only that console) to monitor the status of your LEAF box, there's no reason you can't (or shouldn't) do so...provided you can get all the info you want to monitor headed to the log file (and find/create appropriate log analysis tools).

--
Charles Steinkuehler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: IT Product Guide on ITManagersJournal Use IT products in your business? Tell us what you think of them. Give us Your Opinions, Get Free ThinkGeek Gift Certificates! Click to find out more http://productguide.itmanagersjournal.com/guidepromo.tmpl