On Thursday 15 September 2005 11:48, Paul G Rogers wrote:

> I'm fairly passionate that a basic SOHO firewall be able to RUN from a
> single write-protectable floppy, but that doesn't necessarily mean the
> installation process must.  It's acceptable if an initial LEAF package
> runs from a larger download, then uses something like loadlin to run a
> customizer on the user's M$ box, producing a final runable floppy.  The
> firewall floppy needn't necessarily be able to make major
> reconfigurations on its own, though it should allow minor things, e.g.
> changing an ISP's phone number or password.

Thanks for your comments, Paul.  As a clarification, this system is for
managing the running configurations, not setting up (installing) a new
router.

What I need is a way to see "what were router 003's configuration files like
on Last Thursday?" or in the case of cpe equipment, to be notified when a
local "admin" gets in and makes a change.   As you mention above, if the
ISP's phone number changes, I'd like some record of when someone made the
change, and what the change was.