Mike,

I fully recognize that nobody else is stepping up as "Documentation/Website
Admin", and we all appreciate the job you are doing.   I hope you'll take
these as comments of what one person sees could make things a little better.
Its just my perspective - and you are more than welcome to send this
to /dev/null.  I won't be offended. :-)

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 11:02, Mike Noyes wrote:

> > To work on a project, then have it stored under someone else's name,
> > buried in a cvs archive with no link to the homepage doesn't have the
> > same reward as working on OpenWRT, posting your ipkg and letting the
> > world see it.
>
> This seems directed at our cvs structure, website, and indirectly at me.
> I'll say this again,"Our branch sites are under the control of their
> lead developer." The only two that are under my direct supervision are
> our hub and devel branch.

Sorry if you read it that way, I wasn't trying to direct anything, just
expressing the view as a lowly developer.  I am not a member of the
bering-uClibc team, the Bering team, or any other branch.  I'm just a
developer.

Webconf is a web ui that works in the bering branch and the bering-uclibc
branch, and with very little work would work in the oxygen branch.  A lwp is
just shell script that would work on a OpenWRT linksys router - not even
LEAF. (really!)   Since its just a component, it doesn't belong in any
specific branch.  So where does it go?

Where it goes doesn't matter as much as where the end user has to look to find
it.  Right now the end-user has to play "hunt-the-lwp" through each
developer's tree.

I've got no issues with the CVS structure or you, but it would be nice to get
some of the presentation hurdles out of the way to make it easier for the
average "non-affiliated" developer to publicly contribute to the project.

Please understand that I'm using webconf as an example, I'm *NOT* hoping to
get webconf promoted to branch level or anything... The above statements
could apply equally to a "lrp -> ipkg converter", or "better lrp package
system", or some other really cool idea some developer has.

<snip>

> > Mike, please don't take this as personal criticism against the leaf
> > website - we all appreciate what you ARE able to do, I'm just making an
> > honest observation, based on the early interest I had seen in the web
> > interface, and what had happened to many of the developers.
>
> Understood. I make mistakes, and all I can do is try to learn from them.
> If I had it to do over again, I would have never implemented
> application/xhtml+xml on a working phpWebSite without tidylib available.
>
> I hope installing mediawiki will alleviate most of these issues. It'll
> give everyone a place for content. Greg Morgan is familiar with what
> mediawiki can do, and can answer questions better than I can.

Mediawiki would be a "good thing" IMHO.

Imagine: when some weirdo comes along with his "web configuration ui that
doesn't quite fit anywhere in the structure of things", park him somewhere in
the wiki, let him document (or not) to his heart's content, and let Google
figure out if its worth advertising to the world.  This would also allow
others to easily contribute to the web site content, and you can let the
bering-uClibc folks figure out how they want to get their xml sources
imported into mediawiki. Sounds like a win-win-win.

Cheers