On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 09:58, Nathan Angelacos wrote:
> I fully recognize that nobody else is stepping up as "Documentation/Website
> Admin", and we all appreciate the job you are doing.

Nathan,
Unfortunately, I'm not doing a very good job. :-(

> On Wednesday 15 March 2006 11:02, Mike Noyes wrote:
> > > To work on a project, then have it stored under someone else's name,
> > > buried in a cvs archive with no link to the homepage doesn't have the
> > > same reward as working on OpenWRT, posting your ipkg and letting the
> > > world see it.
> >
> > This seems directed at our cvs structure, website, and indirectly at me.
> > I'll say this again,"Our branch sites are under the control of their
> > lead developer." The only two that are under my direct supervision are
> > our hub and devel branch.
>
> Sorry if you read it that way, I wasn't trying to direct anything, just
> expressing the view as a lowly developer.  I am not a member of the
> bering-uClibc team, the Bering team, or any other branch.  I'm just a
> developer.

I'm just one of our project admins, and not a developer. I was always
marginal, I'm less than that now.

> Webconf is a web ui that works in the bering branch and the bering-uclibc
> branch, and with very little work would work in the oxygen branch.  A lwp is
> just shell script that would work on a OpenWRT linksys router - not even
> LEAF. (really!)   Since its just a component, it doesn't belong in any
> specific branch.  So where does it go?

We created a section in our cvs source tree for config. I thought that
was the main area, and website allocation was up to branch leads. Of
course you have your section in our website devel branch (broken because
of my application/xhtml+xml serving).

        http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/leaf/src/config/

Are you willing to writeup a 'webconf request for assistance'
announcement that I can post on our hub?

> Where it goes doesn't matter as much as where the end user has to look to
> find
> it.  Right now the end-user has to play "hunt-the-lwp" through each
> developer's tree.

Understood, and I agree that's not good. :-(

> I've got no issues with the CVS structure or you, but it would be nice to get
> some of the presentation hurdles out of the way to make it easier for the
> average "non-affiliated" developer to publicly contribute to the project.

Would a move to SVN help?

> Please understand that I'm using webconf as an example, I'm *NOT* hoping to
> get webconf promoted to branch level or anything... The above statements
> could apply equally to a "lrp -> ipkg converter", or "better lrp package
> system", or some other really cool idea some developer has.

Understood. This was what we had, sort of, prior to SF limiting project
shell space usage. :-(

> > I hope installing mediawiki will alleviate most of these issues. It'll
> > give everyone a place for content. Greg Morgan is familiar with what
> > mediawiki can do, and can answer questions better than I can.
>
> Mediawiki would be a "good thing" IMHO.
>
> Imagine: when some weirdo comes along with his "web configuration ui that
> doesn't quite fit anywhere in the structure of things", park him somewhere in
> the wiki, let him document (or not) to his heart's content, and let Google
> figure out if its worth advertising to the world.  This would also allow
> others to easily contribute to the web site content, and you can let the
> bering-uClibc folks figure out how they want to get their xml sources
> imported into mediawiki. Sounds like a win-win-win.

Agreed. Mediawiki should help overcome SF imposed limitations, and my
phpWebSite mistakes.

SF.net Projects: leaf, phpwebsite, phpwebsite-comm, sitedocs