>>    lost major mindshare because their software was too difficult for
>>    folks to install.  As dedicated hackers, we looked at ourselves and
>>    said: "WTF?"  Then Mandrake and later Fedora came along and we saw
>>    how installs should work.  Even eye candy can be important. :-(
>I don't disagree with that - I just wouldn't want to spend my spare time
>working on a nice installer that will work under every imaginable
>operating system on every imaginable hardware. And I even less want to
>have to support that kind of thing.

Like you, I agree with many of (the other) Paul's points.  I'm a Bering
USER for what that's worth.  But I'm still using Bering 1.2, in large
part because the customization process is so tedious.  But I really,
really like the idea of putting my firewall/router on a floppy and
sliding that write-protect switch.  If something starts happening, just
pushing the reset switch fixes everything--start all over sucker!  Even
though I'm committed to wanting a floppy-based solution, I don't care how
big the download/installation package is.  I think we can assume the user
has some sort of extra storage.  It isn't necessary to do things all from
a floppy.  Now I could run it on a Linux host, but when I began using
Bering-1.2, with *loadlin* I could also have run it on the DOS/Windows
box.  So make a decent (ncurses, be wary of GUI
capabilities/requirements) installer, one that's easy to use, one that
provides a variety of targets, including floppy, CF, USB, whatever.  I
don't think it's necessary that the target system be able to maintain
itself, and that gives the floppy target a little extra room.  What I
need on the floppy is the operational firewall/router.  If I need to
change configurations, with the installer on a host system, and saving
configurations there, it should be easy enough to just change whatever
and write another target.

Paul Rogers  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.xprt.net/~pgrogers/
http://www.geocities.com/paulgrogers/
(I do not personally endorse any additions after this line. TANSTAAFL
:-)