Op Ma, 12 juni, 2006 10:26 am schreef Cédric Schieli:
>> I have an image I can send you this evening (UTC) when I'm home. If
>> there is more demand, maybe it can be placed somewhere on the LEAF site.
>>

> I'll be there ;)

Ok :))

>> Not yet, it depends on everyones free time ;)) The move to a new config
>>  system and/or uClibc upgrade touches every package setup in buildtool,
>> so although it's not very difficult to do it costs time. Also every
>> package needs to be rebuilded and tested.
>
> I meant a timeline (TODO list ?) for an upgraded uClibc toolchain.
> Thus we can start rebuilding and testing ;)
> As buildtool now permit using a local checkout, wouldn't be useful to
> have a dedicated cvs branch for that work to be done ?

Not sure, now that we tag the sources it should be easier to checkout a
specific version. Making a seperate branch would introduce extra work and
take extra time we don't have..

>> That would be nice, but could be implemented afterwards. The question
>> is if it's really needed. If the changes between package
>> versions/revisions are compatible, it's just a matter of replacing the
>> package. If the changes are incompatible, the question is if a 3-way
>> diff tool works.
>
> As pointed out somewhere in this list, documentation is often
> contained in config files. Merging when there are no incompatible changes
> gives you an opportunity to get new "doclets". If changes are
> incompatible, let's spawn a shell for hand-merging. A really nice feature
> would be a kind of Debian's ucf whithout the debconf stuff, and why not a
> kind of "leafconf" (but that's another story)

True, but you also have the problem of the UI. If you only store diffs you
have to represent the merge to the user somehow (and create a diff again
when saving the changes). The current system is really very simple and
doesn't use extra tools like diff and patch. Besides config files (text
files) compress very good so the result will probably be a lot smaller
than introducing new requirements.

But the idea is attractive. I see the "new" config system as a first step,
if the framework is in-place and packages itself aren't backupped anymore
improvents can be made in the "userspace" configtools and the packages
itself don't need to be touched anymore.

It's also possible to create some sort of offline config/update tool
instead of doing it all on the host itself.

> Regards,
> Cedric

Reagrds,
Eric