Hello Nataneal,

>> Cool, but user changes are lost if you choose the option to update the
>> config file. I was more thinking about something that updates the new
>> config file with changes from the old one, which is probably almost
>> impossible ;)
>
> Nothing is impossible. The "impossible" just takes longer time. :-)

True :-))

> Gentoo's etc-update does excatly this. It has a "merge" option in
> addtion to the above (and "replace all"). If you do merge, etc-update will
> display evey diff-chunk giving you a possibility to use the chunk from new
> file or use the current one. mergemaster in freebsd does someting similar.

Nice! May still be difficult if the config format changes. Currently I use
the KISS principle, when the config format isn't changed use the user
changed configfile. When the config format is changed, it may be better to
start from scratch for that particular config file. But if someone is able
to create such an implementation in reasonable size and foolproof I will
happely use it ;)

> It shouldn't impossible do that in shell with diff/top. But I guess the
> only sane thing would be to write a C app for that. Maybe later...
>
> --
> Natanael Copa

Eric