On Monday 07 January 2008 00:12:56 Erich Titl wrote:
> KP
>
> KP Kirchdoerfer schrieb:
> > On Saturday 05 January 2008 22:27:29 Erich Titl wrote:
> >> KP

> > I'm pretty shure we never enabled busybox ip and used iproute instead.
>
> OK
>
> >> What do you get with
> >>
> >> ls -l `which ip`
> >
> > gatekeeper# ls -l `which ip`
> > -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        76756 Jan 25  2007 /sbin/ip
>
> so your configuraion is similar to mine. Still mine is not forgiving.
>
> I checked the connectivity by _not_ using ifup/down for interface
> configuration. I used plain ip commands to set up the interface, set up
> an address and the default route to get access to NTP servers.
>
> The only difference I could observe is that the interface did _not_ have
> NOTRAILERS set.
>
> However, ntpd would not work neither and this is a showstopper for me so
> far, not because I need it (which I do), but because I have no
> explanation to why this happens.
>
> I tried to debug ntpd but in my case the DEBUG flag is not set. I will
> have to build a version with debug enabled. I have not tried with
> openntpd yet, still, even if it would work, I need an explanation.

Have you ipv6 enabled?
I saw ntpq failing with ipv6 enabled: after disabling ipv6 ntpq runs fine.

/opt/buildtool/source/ntp/ntp-4.2.4p3$ ./ntpq/ntpq -c "rv 0 state"
7f00:1:c040:a0bf::: timed out, nothing received
***Request timed out

after disabling ipv6 ntpq runs fine.

It looks like ntpq is not fully capable to deal with ipv6 and this is probably
the place to investigate further.