Am Freitag, 18. Juni 2010 23:51:40 schrieb Andrew:
> After rebuild from scratch - all is OK, resulting ISO is bootable and
> working as planned in my VM.
> So at next week I'll try to make some clean-up of sources, and, if
> nobody adds till that time mdev.conf, I'll add it.
> http://cross-lfs.org/view/clfs-embedded/x86/bootscripts/mdev.html - good
> sample for config, but now I haven't time to work on it - even one
> hour... And IMHO it'll be enough complete to be placed as beta for
> public access.

Andrew,
I'm also really busy, but managed to make a bootable hd on an alix board with
the older initrd based version and had success connecting to net and use most
of the stuff.

A few observations:

- aiccu segfaults with an error related to libpthread

- the atheros WLAN card can't be initiated - maybe related to pb's setting the
country zone with the ath5k driver; the net community says to just use the
madwifi driver as with the 2.4 kernel

- access to the IDE-CF has changed from hda to sda

- mounting sda results in UPPERCASE filenames on the mountpoint, though this
may have been introduced by the short way to copy all 2.6 files through my
dual setup via Bering-uClibc 3.1 to /dev/hda2. This has to be doublechecked
with a plain pxeboot setup/installation.

- I'd like to see a more generic kernel as default kernel. It's more tedious
to replace a kernel than in the 2.x times (with kernel-elan) than today. A
new kernel requires also a new initrd (at least as long as we built one),
moddb|modb_6.lrp and a new tarball with kernel modules. Not to mention that a
kernel with Geode optimization and without SMP support is about 100k smaller.

- I'm investigating if it's possible to run a more recent shorewall version
with uperl.lrp due to three reasons - shorewall-perl is the only shorewall
version supported in the future, shorewall-perl is the only that supports
multicast and shorewall-perl is the base of shorewall-ipv6 support. This will
allow us to replace 6wall, with shorewall, which is actively supported and
developed.

- some of the above mentioned changes requires to revise and rewrite the
documenation, which are a big plus for LEAF users.

So I's vote to resolve a few issues mentioned above to release an alpha
version aiming at the developer community and then to start to creating the
new docs. Once those are in place (and probably with some new updated
packages) we can build a beta for interested users.