David;

Am Sonntag, 31. Oktober 2010, 22:09:54 schrieb davidMbrooke:
> On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 20:50 +0100, KP Kirchdoerfer wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 29. Oktober 2010, 20:25:58 schrieb Andrew:
> >
> > Ok; I propose:
> > - just "core" and "contrib" repository (names are not fixed), testing
> > isn't needed   - we can also put packages in contrib which we consider
> > for testing or provided as-is.
>
> Just to make sure I understand 100%, some examples:
>
>    etc.lrp: Certainly part of "core". No debate.

Maybe this also debatable :)

The most radical way (besides opening it all) would be just to define "core"
just as buildenv and buildtool itself. Which is the bare minimum to build
packages on a definded base (uclibc version).
Though even that raises pb's. What if a user wants to provide a complete new
kernel arch? And in the developer guidelines and policies we asked to provide
modules not in the package, but with modules.tgz....

During 2.x and 3.x we thought about "core" mainly as "packages that are
provided on the floppy image" - but as that donÄt exist any longer..., and it
doesn't work very well in the long term.

>    asterisk.lrp: Certainly part of "contrib" (only if it is fixed?)
>    aiccu.lrp: Not part of "core", since only relevant to some users, but
> you (kp) and I (dMb) would be willing to upgrade, test, repair etc.

Both belongs shurely to "contrib"

> Should we distinguish "supported" contrib from "unsupported" contrib?
> Something like "primary" (instead of "core" - approx 10 packages that
> EVERY user will need), "secondary" (tested and supported, but not
> "core"), then "contrib" for the others?

Hmm, the idea of "approx 10 packages that every users need" is a good one.
Your "secondary" and "contrib" maybe rephrased as "packages" and "testing"?
(primary/packages/testing)