Am Montag, 26. September 2011, 13:23:26 schrieb Erich Titl:
> Hi Andrew
>
> at 26.09.2011 11:43, Andrew wrote:
> > On 26/09/11 00:53, Erich Titl wrote:
> >> HI Folks
> >>
> >> This thing is driving me crazy
> >>
> >> mega@luna:~/leaf/devel/leaf/repo/dhcpd> git pull
> >> You are in the middle of a conflicted merge.
> >>
> >> So what? There seems to be no way to find out about the conflicts as
> >> pull is quite crytic about it. Even if I just abandon any work on
> >> dhcp I am stuck and I am not prepared to throw away everything
> >> again. There must be a solution to all this.
> >>
> >> cheers
> >>
> >> Erich
> >
> > Do 'git status' to see conflicts and modified files. Conflicting files
> > will have both old and new code into body separated by header/tailer
> > (you can make search by '>>>' in file).
>
> I finally found that, but it definitely is not what one would expect.
> There must be a way to tell it "I don't really care, just do it". Git
> tries IMHO to be too fancy.
>
> > After resolving conflict you must do 'git add' for file, and than
> > commit it. Or if you want to undo merge
>
> Well, if you ere in the middle of an unsuccessful merge this makes you
> wonder.
>
> Anyway it took me a few hours to just straighten out my own repo, I
> don't know about the fatalities I introduced in the MAIN branch by just
> plowing my way out of that thicket. Sorry about that.
>
> Git is just like Pandoras Box, you never know what you get, but it is
> always a surprise.
>
> cheers
>
> Erich

Hi Erich;

I'm just rebuilding from scratch if anything is broken, we'll see later...

I understand your frustration, and I hope we'll get some "shortcuts" like
"don't care, just do it" - I ran into this myself.

Two notes.

First I'll look into
http://leaf.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=leaf/bering-
uclibc;a=shortlog
before I do a commit (and yes setting up notification-mails will help also).

Second I suggest to use branching to avoid that much pb's you had with your
latest commit - it might not be the gold standard, but it may help.