Am Donnerstag, 20. Oktober 2011, 18:34:01 schrieb Mike Noyes:
> On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 08:10 -0700, Mike Noyes wrote:
> > Subject was: Re: [leaf-devel] Separate Git branch for 4.1-fixes ?
> > On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 20:59 +0200, KP Kirchdoerfer wrote:
> > - snip -
> >
> > > Also the leaf-user list is quiet - are there no users any longer, or
> > > are they just satisfied with the work and use LEAF silently?
> >
> > KP,
> > Unknown. Leaf-user shows 459 members, so there are still people paying
> > some level of attention to leaf.
>
> Everyone,
> All marketing ideas are welcome.
>
> > > The 190 downloads in two weeks may also be a good number, given that
> > > LEAF has zero press in the last years
> >
> > This is my fault. I haven't worked on marketing since we discontinued
> > our project domain (leaf-project.org). Nor have I updated our website.
> >
> >         * No listing on distrowatch.com
>
> Anyone with time and desire, feel free to attend to this task.

A look at the "waiting list", which goes back to 2004, doesn't look
encouraging.

> >         * Old website
>
> I suggest we backup the content in phpWebsite, and change the default
> website to:
>
> http://leaf.sourceforge.net/ ->
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/leaf/
>
>         Add prominent links to: Trac, IdeaTorrent, and Gitweb
>
>                 http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/leaf/
>                 http://sourceforge.net/apps/ideatorrent/leaf/
>                 http://leaf.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb-index.cgi
>
> Old phpWebsite content backup:
> http://leaf.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/leaf/sourceforge/phpwebsite/

Mike, I disagree - while the wiki has matured into a well structured
documentation (thx to David for doing most of the work), a wiki can't
replace a well done website.
I've always liked the idea to move to drupal (or any other CMS) as main
page - thus we get something looking interesting and fresh, while we do
have still room to support different versions. IMHO, before we go with a
wiki-based homepage, we'd better stick with the current one, even it looks
old-fashioned.

> >         * Haven't installed hook script for git commit mailing list
>
> I'll attend to this.

Thx.

> > The cumulative effect of these problems may make our project look dead
> > to the casual observer.

Maybe, but it isn't justified by facts (if someone looks carefully on the
webpage, git, trac and mailing-lists etc, it still shows an active project)
- and it's definitely your personal fault, if there is something wrong, it's
the "projects" fault.

I might have been clear - "no press" was just mentioned as "a fact", not as
accusation.

> > > - though I do believe it's as good as any other small distro given
> > > the task it's developed for.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > > Maybe it's lack of press is related to the lack of a fancy
> > > web-interface, but then that's something *I* do not care about.
> >
> > Unfortunately, a GUI is expected by the majority of end users.
> >
> >         Examples:
> >                 LuCI
> >                 http://luci.subsignal.org/
> >
> >                 Unified Configuration Interface (UCI)
> >                 http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci
> >                 http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/uci

Just had a very short look, and without screenshots. most of the looks jus
another layer between user and config, but probably still text-based.

This GUI discussion is as old as the LEAF project... and it's just good for
a wake-up call for longtime developers like Martin :))

Anyway, if someone wants to extend or replace the current webconf stuff,
just go ahead, as long as it does not load new work to build packages (like
the extra layers above).

> > > I use LEAF for years as a rock-solid and as safe as possible
> > > software for my routers - and it just works.
> >
> > Agreed, but I switched to OpenWRT quite a few years ago. It just made
> > sense for my small home network. Routers like Netgear's WNDR3700v2 are
> > more than sufficient for lots of users.

Agree - just checked, and while the difference has shrunken, a comparable
new x86 based router (Alix) still costs twice as much as the Netgear router
you mentioned. Maybe something can be done about this next year.