28.07.2012 20:05, KP Kirchdoerfer пишет:
> Am 28.07.2012 18:50, schrieb Andrew:
>> Hi.

>>> Wouldn't it be better to maintain different Git branches for different
>>> versions of the kernel?
>>>
>>> dMb
>>>

>> I think that there is no need to maintain different branches with
>> similar userland. Kernel version shouldn't affect userland software. At
>> least, we can try in future to provide separate kernels for single
>> distro version.
>> One thing that should be done on this stage - we should use not single
>> version (for ex., 5.0-alpha1), but double versioning, userland and
>> kernel (for ex., 5.0-alpha1/3.2.24).
> Andrew;
>
> I agree with David.
> I'm afraid this can become a support hell. It's not just the kernel,
> also the kernel modules, kernel related-packages, at least 4 initrd and
> initmod versions, buildimage...
No, now we have single initrd for all kernels. Kernel-related packages -
if they contains modules, they modules should be compiled for all
kernels; and binaries are same (they aren't too heavy wired with current
kernel version; for ex., I use gentoo on home server and there is a lag
between kernel update and kernel headers updates, + I don't recompile
all for current kernel - and I have no problems with userland that was
built for old kernel with old headers).
> I'm also afraid that it can become confusing for users to understand
> what needs to be updated in a single version if one updates the
> kernel,and even more to respind to error reports.
If we'll divide userland packages and kernel/kernel-related packages
(just 4 binaries - kernel, initmod, moddb, modules.tgz) - IMHO this
shouldn't make a headache. And new kernel release can be done
independent, not touching userland version.
> I think it's simply too much to handle for the small developer team we are.
> Please let's keep as simple as possible. Adding support for other
> architectures is enough work, if done right, for now.
>

> kp

I think that it shouldn't have any troubles in supporting. At first
stage it'll be enough just to add kernel version to each BuC release,
and to mention somewhere in documentation that kernel now is completely
separate form userland. This shouldn't change anything, bit this will
allow us to simply add new kernel to existing branch in future.