Le 30 juil. 2014 à 17:48, kp kirchdoerfer <kap...@users.sourceforge.net> a
écrit :

> [...]
>>
>> commit 2c1e59762c62396e9a7f22c54e39c15e71abcac7
>> Author: kapeka <kap...@users.sourceforge.net>
>> Date:   Sun Jul 27 18:30:35 2014
>>
>>    clean toolchain from unnesseray patches
>>
>>    add linux-headers in xz format to save some space
>>
>>    Note: this are the headers from kernel 3.14.13
>>
>> commit 0db9f10fda5c357e168f9ce06d86447011a5b4af
>> Author: kapeka <kap...@users.sourceforge.net>
>> Date:   Sat Aug 3 14:53:30 2013
>>
>>    copy uuid/uuid.h into staging
>>
>> Most of this commits are for the new kernel 3.14.13.
>> So i think we must create a new topic branch: kernel-3.14.13 (rewriting
>> history to squash the commits about the ipt_netflow) For the commit
>> 0db9f10fda5c357e168f9ce06d86447011a5b4af perhaps it can be cherry-pick on
>> master ?
>>
>> Is it's ok for you i can made the job.
>
> Hi Yves, hi all,
>
> it was me who started the confusion...
>
> After Andrews revert and running
> `git reset --hard origin/next` on next branch
>

> I still have a "mixed setup"  - next still has a 3.14 kernel....
> So if you can clean it up for me, pls do!
>
> Anyway, I have been misleaded by the workflow description:
>
> "  maint tracks the commits that should go into the next "maintenance
> release", i.e., update of the last released stable version;
>
> master tracks the commits that should go into the next release;
>
> next is intended as a testing branch for topics being tested for stability
> for
> master."
>
> - "maint tracks the commits that should go into the next "maintenance
> release", i.e., update of the last released stable version;"
>
> This one seems clear to me - it's where we maintain last stable release, the
> one we've put in maintenance mode until master becomes stable
>
> - "master tracks the commits that should go into the next release;"
>
> Again clear to me - stuff we are working on for the next release (:= the
> successor of maint, once it's stable) - it may be companied by topic branches
>
> "next is intended as a testing branch for topics being tested for stability
> for master"
>
> This is confusing - I thought that is a testbed for the next major
> step/version and could be pretty unstable.
>
> Maybe at the time, where "master" is almost stable and a version and few days
> away of becoming "maint", "next" can be in a state, where it differs from
> "master" significantly... And this the point in time, where we are now IMHO.
>
> I haven't used "next" for that stuff in the past, and I dn't know where it
> should be going instead - if "master" more or less ready, but not released
> already, but if so the changes in "next" will go into master, once they are
> tested "a testing branch for topics for master"...
>

> Ok, stop nitpicking - the correct decision would have been to fork from
> master
> a 3.14 branch as Andrew did, and once "master" is stable and moved to "maint"
> to merge into the then new master branch, correct?

Yes it's that KP.

> Yves, pls try to clean up next from my commits as well - I'll restart working
> with Andrews 3.14 branch, which should have my previous changes and his
> following work?
>
> thx and sorry kp

No problem KP. Git is a great tool and can easily correct mistakes.
Actually the next branch is clean and is equal to master branch.

Perhaps is your local next branch that is not clean. Point your local next
branch to the origin/next branch. Like andrew said do:
git checkout next
git reset --hard origin/next

Now you can merge the kernel-3.14 branch into next to continue the tests for
the futur next branch. But never develop directly on the next branch. Use the
topic branches and merge to next branch.
When the futur master branch will be ready, we will merge the topic branches
(like kernel-3.14) into the new master branch.

Regards,
Yves

PS: about the commit :
commit 0db9f10fda5c357e168f9ce06d86447011a5b4af
Author: kapeka <kap...@users.sourceforge.net>
Date:   Sat Aug 3 14:53:30 2013

   copy uuid/uuid.h into staging

What can we do with it ? Since it's 1 year old, perhaps it has been merge in
another commit ?