Am Mittwoch, 30. Juli 2014, 23:47:16 schrieb Yves Blusseau:
> [...]
> >

> > I still have a "mixed setup"  - next still has a 3.14 kernel....
> > So if you can clean it up for me, pls do!
> >
> > Anyway, I have been misleaded by the workflow description:
> >
> > "  maint tracks the commits that should go into the next "maintenance
> > release", i.e., update of the last released stable version;
> >
> > master tracks the commits that should go into the next release;
> >
> > next is intended as a testing branch for topics being tested for stability
> > for master."
> >
> > - "maint tracks the commits that should go into the next "maintenance
> > release", i.e., update of the last released stable version;"
> >
> > This one seems clear to me - it's where we maintain last stable release,
> > the one we've put in maintenance mode until master becomes stable
> >
> > - "master tracks the commits that should go into the next release;"
> >
> > Again clear to me - stuff we are working on for the next release (:= the
> > successor of maint, once it's stable) - it may be companied by topic
> > branches
> >
> > "next is intended as a testing branch for topics being tested for
> > stability
> > for master"
> >
> > This is confusing - I thought that is a testbed for the next major
> > step/version and could be pretty unstable.
> >
> > Maybe at the time, where "master" is almost stable and a version and few
> > days away of becoming "maint", "next" can be in a state, where it differs
> > from "master" significantly... And this the point in time, where we are
> > now IMHO.
> >
> > I haven't used "next" for that stuff in the past, and I dn't know where it
> > should be going instead - if "master" more or less ready, but not released
> > already, but if so the changes in "next" will go into master, once they
> > are
> > tested "a testing branch for topics for master"...
> >

> > Ok, stop nitpicking - the correct decision would have been to fork from
> > master a 3.14 branch as Andrew did, and once "master" is stable and moved
> > to "maint" to merge into the then new master branch, correct?
>
> Yes it's that KP.
>
> > Yves, pls try to clean up next from my commits as well - I'll restart
> > working with Andrews 3.14 branch, which should have my previous changes
> > and his following work?
> >
> > thx and sorry kp
>
> No problem KP. Git is a great tool and can easily correct mistakes.
> Actually the next branch is clean and is equal to master branch.
>
> Perhaps is your local next branch that is not clean. Point your local next
> branch to the origin/next branch. Like andrew said do: git checkout next
> git reset --hard origin/next
>
> Now you can merge the kernel-3.14 branch into next to continue the tests for
> the futur next branch. But never develop directly on the next branch. Use
> the topic branches and merge to next branch. When the futur master branch
> will be ready, we will merge the topic branches (like kernel-3.14) into the

I'm pretty shure that I followed the steps above, but I'm under the
impressions something went wrong and I accidently again committed "sources
misusing next" - can anybody confirm, repair  and help to avoid the pb in a
future update?

> PS: about the commit :
> commit 0db9f10fda5c357e168f9ce06d86447011a5b4af
> Author: kapeka <kap...@users.sourceforge.net>
> Date:   Sat Aug 3 14:53:30 2013
>
>    copy uuid/uuid.h into staging
>
> What can we do with it ? Since it's 1 year old, perhaps it has been merge in
> another commit ?

I really have no idea anymore - but I'll come across the underlying problem in
the future for shure :)

Seems I have to add more to the commit messages for later reuse...