Hi Erich;

Am Mittwoch, 18. Februar 2015, 12:14:45 schrieb Erich Titl:
> Hi KP
>
> Am 17.02.2015 um 20:48 schrieb kp kirchdoerfer:
> > Hi;
> >
> > Am Montag, 16. Februar 2015, 00:06:15 schrieb Mega:
> >> Hi KP

> > IMHO it should not unpacked, because it will shrink and clutter the RAM
> > with almost unused stuff.
> > I'd prefer a modification of hwdetect, which also scans /etc/modules to
> > load modules that are not detected by scanning modules.dep to load just
> > the firmware required.
>
> IMHO it should be unpacked if the driver module gets installed. So we
> need some dependency mechanism between modules and firmware.

Keep in mind: a fully build firmware.tgz will be about 45MB. I don't build it
that way, just what's required by users, but it could be that big or at least
a lot bigger than the less than 1MB we have today.

Therefor I don't think we should unpack a package like that by default - it
does waste RAM and it will raise startup time even for those who don't need or
want firmware. And most users don't want every firmware files available
unpacked.

A con to my idea ist that each time a user upgrades his router the firmware
files in /lib/firmware are gone, because if they are saved in moddb.lrp,
they'll
be gone when moddb.lrp is upgraded along with the kernel.
But this is also true for non-default modules   - so part of upgrading is
always running hwdetect - something similar for the firmware could do the job
for a given firmware as well. It will be then saved to moddb.lrp as the modules
added, and users will be fine until next upgrade.