Am 18.02.2015 um 18:04 schrieb kp kirchdoerfer:
> Hi Erich;

>> IMHO it should be unpacked if the driver module gets installed. So we
>> need some dependency mechanism between modules and firmware.
>
> Keep in mind: a fully build firmware.tgz will be about 45MB. I don't build it
> that way, just what's required by users, but it could be that big or at least
> a lot bigger than the less than 1MB we have today.

I am aware of that.

> Therefor I don't think we should unpack a package like that by default - it
> does waste RAM and it will raise startup time even for those who don't need
> or
> want firmware. And most users don't want every firmware files available
> unpacked.

We will have to decide if we are building something for an end user or a
developer. Right now LEAF is adressing enthusiasts which can manage
moderatly complex tasks like selecting the right module set, e.t.c Given
the enormous variability of our target hardware it is close to
impossible to anticipate what module set and possibly firmware set a
user needs.

Maybe we will need a site where missing modules/firmware BLOBS can be
installed from to make this more user friendly. The current situation is
IMHO not really attractive to end users.

In the past LEAF would be running on obsolete HW which has now mostly
changed to be embedded systems (I believe). We are still building for
the complex set of standard  PC hardware without really knowing if this
is the most common target. I am surprised by the extended set of
hardware a project like openWRT supports, maybe this is due to the
similarity of those platforms.

Would you think we could build a set of relatively modest basic
configurations which would allow to be upgraded by simply connecting to
a web site and selecting additional functional modules? I have never
used the preconfigured packets as I felt they were too big and contained
too much cruft. It proves to be quite an effort though. Just look at the
invariable serial console problem.

I believe we have addressed the needs of the enthusiasts with our
various packages and images. I also believe we should present something
new for end users, trying to get where the commercial suppliers of
embedded systems are but be more flexible.

Consider a system on a USB stick, which would allow to taylor a LEAF
image by selecting the necessary modules from a WEB interface, using
either some kind of HW detection or user interaction if the hardware
canot be booted from a USB stick. That would be quite a challenge.

cheers

ET