> Dean Moreton wrote:
>
> Hey there thanks alot for your advice much appreciated. I
> understand most of what it is doing, but being a bit of a
> newbie just need a bit of clarification with what the dhcp
> bit is doing.
>
> so this is entered into/edited in the /etc/dhcp.conf on my
> lrp box?

that is /etc/dhcpd.conf.  Why would you want a static IP
with dhcp?  Well Windows boxes can get all their
configuration - gateway etc, AND you can check the box <>
Use DHCP for WINS Resolution.

> >dynamic-bootp-lease-length 604800;
> >max-lease-time 1209600;
> >subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
> >    option routers 192.168.1.254;
> >    option domain-name "private.network";
> >    option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.254;
> >    range 192.168.1.10 192.168.1.100;

> The last bit, do i put in the mac address of the nic in
> the computer that i will be wanting to connect to via vnc?
> and inplace of host computername do i enter the name of
> the computer or is this irrelevent?

YES put in both the computer name and the NIC number.

> >host computername {
> >        hardware ethernet 00:40:f5:5f:2e:3e;
> >        fixed-address 192.168.1.1;
> >        }
>
> Im comfortable with the rest of the info you gave me. In
> regards to the lrp box emailing me my dynamic ip so i know
> where to connect to from work, is there a problem with
> mail on some of the eigerstein distros? I have tried using
> it before, entering the appropriate settings in lrp.conf
> like you said but still get errors stating host unkown,
> maybe im missing something, but i can ping my smtp server,
> it resolves it etc but mail says its unknown. Just saw
> your comment about mail and thought id ask.

The simplest way, as Scott suggested, is to get one of those
free dyndns accounts so that you can access your box by name
instead of IP. There is an lrp that will report the change
to the dns hosting server.
By the way, I think there is also another change I would
make to ESB2 if my ISP assigned my IP via dhcp or PPPoE.
I think it is in /etc/dnscache.conf ( I use a different
version now so can't check).
Comment the line that says #IPSEND=$EXTERN_IP
and uncomment the line that says
IPSEND=0.0.0.0
This prevents dnscache from freezing if your isp suddenly
changes your IP number....