-----Original Message-----
From: DPG [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2001 4:01 PM
To: Lonnie Cumberland
Subject: RE: [Leaf-user] Proxy-ARP Script Problems

Lonnie,

I got one working back in June, with some difficulty.  Once it's up, it just
runs, so hang in there...

Scripts alone won't completely solve your problem.  Are you sure you have
your DMZ subnet pared-down correctly?  Have you masked your DMZ address
range as tightly as you can, and excluded the remainder with DMZ_EXT_ADDRESS
statements?  This was tricky thing for me, and I couldn't figure out how to
do it with Charles spoonfeeding the answer to me.   I now understand the
magic, but I would not have figured it out without his help.

Hope this helps:

1.  www.gilleece.net/lrp/netconf.txt is my network.conf
2.  www.gilleece.net/lrp/diagram.txt is a diagram of the network configured
3.  www.gilleece.net/lrp/etc.zip is the entire etc.lrp file from a working
boot disk
4.  www.casano.com/lrp/proxy_arp.html has a great cookbook for putting this
together.
5.  Look through GeoCrawler, and find my conversations with Charles around
mid-June. He gives a great explanation of creating the little phony
"mini-subnet" you need for your DMZ.

Also, MAKE SURE you have all ARP caches cleared when you try it.  I'd
recommend this method to save your sanity:

1.  Power down EVERYTHING in your control.
2.  Power the firewall up first, then the hosts behind it.
3.  For systems with a command for manually flushing the ARP cache, do it.
4.  Grab your beverage of choice, and wait for an hour (perhaps more) for
your ISP's gateway to "get it" --- and don't underestimate how long that
might take.  That one system is out of your control, but critical to making
this thing fly.

I thought I was going to lose my sanity getting it all together --- but once
it was in place, it was zero effort.

Good luck,

Dan