Hi,

I'd be happy to contribute to a web interface for LEAF
> If there are more people interested, we could join our efforts :=)
Here are some ideas

First of all, the combinaison LRP/Kernel 2.4/Shorewall is not yet very
common in
the LRP world and I can understand the lack of feedback Eric got about his
web interface.

I think that allowing editing existing files through the web interface is a
lot of work
with a very small ROI, an applet java allowing ssh access could do the job

IMHO, What we need is a higher level interface ( Like seawall, you have a
few
simple configuration files and a lot of work done with the data in those
files)

I think we could design the web interface as an editor modifying a big file
( config.web)
containing shell variables definitions and a few scripts which process
configuration files
templates, replacing the variables in the templates by the actual values
from config.web and
write actual configuration files in the right place.
example:  the local interface ip address ( 192.168.1.254) is used in a lot
of configuration
files. the web interface should be able to modify this value "everywhere"

It should be easy to add "modules" to the web interface ( a set of pages and
a set of templates)
those pages and templates could be stored in the .LRP files or in separate
packages (with another
file extension).

now a few questions:

- Should the interface be usable with the floppy version of a LEAF-like
distribution ????
( https ? to allow remote management isnt't it too big ?)

- Should we try to reuse something exisitng or build from scratch ?

- Could we build our interface so that we could derive from it a set of web
pages or a set of scripts
using the dialog command ( being usable from the text console )

- how to permit customizations in the templates outside of the web interface
( to allow
modifications not ( yet ) possible from the web interface ??

- I think that it's a big project but it should be possible

PS: Maybe we could move on the leaf-devel list or elsewhere ??

Regards
Etienne Charlier