> > I dunno what the likelihood of this suggestion becoming reality is, but
> > maybe having MRTG running and using one of the client apps to produce
> > bandwidth graphs for display in Weblet could be one way of achieving
> > this.
>
> The problem with MRTG is it only shows an averaged figure, say a five
minute
> average. I would find useful an feature that says 'today, you sent 100MB
of
> data and received 250MB', or down to an hourly level. (Unless you increase
> the time interval with MRTG? hmm.. that's worth a try - although not sure
if
> SNMP and friends will fit on a floppy)

Then, of course, there's the fact that MRTG is a PERL program...

> In fact, if Charles is able to 'do the math' (so to speak) there could be
> other options, like splitting traffic down by service (Web, FTP, SMTP etc)
> so admins could get an idea of how the network is being (ab)used.

Actually, having the ability to do extended math would allow many nifty
logging applications, including CPU usage (see if you really have enough
horsepower, or if you need to upgrade that 486 to a DX-4 :-) as well as
overall bandwidth, and potentially per-protocol (or IP, or website, or
whatever) logging.  I'll have to put together a 'stats.lrp' or somethign
addon package for weblet that provides some nifty tools for doing this...

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net