Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> > One caution: I found several places where lines could be compressed
> > using redirects instead of pipes for the mail body:
> >
> > {
> > cool stuff
> > } | mail -s "$subject" $mailto
> >
> > Beware -- this no longer works !!!
>
> What breaks?  This should work...if it doesn't, it's a bug.

Yesterday was a tough day all around for me ;<

First, there was the client from h*ll and his neverending problems that
couldn't wait for a weekday.

Then, I struggled with sshd in RC4.

And, last evening, when I cam home, I had ~300 mail processes *stuck* in
the process table, including that many /proc/<numeral>/fd's.

When I tried manually running:

        /usr/local/bin/mailonerr moe.config

I got my ubiquitous ``broken pipe'' error -- not once; but, three times
in a row.

Once I changed this, in mailonerr:

        } | mail -s "$subject" $mailto  # my edit

to this:

        } > $prefix.msg
        mail -s "$subject" $mailto < $prefix.msg

Everything started working again, after mass-killing those hung
processes.

Therefore, I concluded that the pipe was the source to my problems.

Today, I test the pipe (|) and it works -- go figure ;>

OK, Charles, again, I am wrong and stand corrected . . .

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .