On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Sandro Minola wrote:

> hi
>
> i noticed that FAIRQ/QoS rules do only apply to these interfaces which are
> listed in $IF_AUTO. Since my externel interface (eth0) is dynamic (DHCP),
> QoS rules are not applied.
>
> is there a workaround for this?

Probably, but it would require thinking, and that makes my head hurt :-)
Seriously, how are you determining that the rules aren't applying? I
would think that the functions aren't applied until after the DHCP
address discovery is done; that said, my experience with DHCP (using
some PPP packages) is that address assignment (and hence, everything
else) doesn't work the first time when you boot, so you need to do
killall pppd and an svi network reload. That one was caused by a package
with an /etc/init.d/ppp script, seems the same problems would occur in
PPPoE.

> general QoS question:
> does anyone have a working example? Jack's howto is very nice and useful but
> there are still a lot of open questions. can anyone post a working example
> and explain what it does? i mean, how the posted parameters affect and what
> experiences you made with QoS. (the QoS part of network.conf would be nice)

ppp_BNDWIDTH=50Kbit
ppp_FAIRQ=YES
ppp_TXQLEN=40
ppp_IABURST=20
ppp_IARATE=10Kbit
ppp_PXMTU=1500
ppp_FAIRQ=YES
ppp_HNDL=3
ppp0_IABURST=10
ppp0_IARATE=10
ppp0_PXMTU=1500

I still don't understand the IA stuff, but I know the BNDWIDTH parameter
is effective because I've dialed it down to 5Kbit and seen truly lousy
performance.

> thank you
>

> ---
> Sandro Minola           | LEAF Developer (http://leaf.sourceforge.net)
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.minola.ch    | http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/sminola
> -
> worldcontrol:~ # rm -rf /bin/laden

Jack Coates