First, my apologies for this off-topic post, but I know that this list is
full of very knowledgable people, some of whom have wrestled with a 3com
card and linux before.  It's a tenuous link, but this box I'm talking about
will actually be sitting behind a Dachstein box ;-)... does that almost drag
it on-topic?  It seems likely that this machine will end it's life (at some
point) as a leaf box as well.  But I digress...

I have a Compaq Deskpro 2000 that I am trying to install RH7.2 onto.  It has
no CD drive, so I am attempting to do a network (http) install from my winME
box running Apache (temporarily).  I used the bootnet.img and I booted up
the Deskpro.  Unfortunately, when I'm asked to select the driver for my nic,
no matter what I select, I get 'failed to insert 3c5x9
module' (where 3c5x9 is the choice I made on the previous screen).  The nic
actually is a 3com 3c509b combo ISA card and I know it works as I took it
straight out of a win98 box (working).  I then disabled pnp and set irq=10
io=0x300.  The card passes all of its diagnostics.  So what gives?  Any
clues from the linux gurus out there?  Do I need to make a driver disk?  If
so, which driver to I need... the obvious one doesn't seem to work!

all the best

tim