Yes, that is very true, but certain circumstances limit ones ability to do
this.  In particular, a friend is running an old 486 which was converted to
a LEAF/LRP box because it had SCSI (the SCSI card died) and no on board IDE.
  The nics are EISA - and since he doesn't have a nic with a configurable
MAC or a mobo that had EISA slots he's either without an Internet connection
for 3-4 days or has to find an alternative method to release his IP (i.e.
finding a SCSI card that is compatible with an OEM - and thus -
non-configurable BIOS).  While these circumstances are rare - there are
other more likely circumstances that could affect other usesr.  Say
upgrading from an older 486 to a Pentium based system and moving from ISA
based cards to PCI - in such a case an IP release option would save time /
heartache during the upgrade.....

Just a thought