hi

I've a strange problem with the external NIC of one of my boxes. Connections
are very laggy and the data throughput is about 400BYTES/s. It's a 256Kbit
cable connection.

Now the strange things:
throughput is normal in the very first seconds. then it slows down to
400Bytes/s and stays there (it slows down in steps, not in one step from
25KBytes/s to 400Bytes/s). if i start the download or site loading again,
speed starts with normal and goes down again.
Interface statistics shows over 3000 errors on eth0 (box running about 1
hour).

What i'm using:
Eigerstein2Beta 2.2.19 Kernel
SMC Ultra ISA NIC (external, the strange one)
DEC EtherWorks (internal, don't makes any problems)
DOCSIS CableModem connection 256Kbit

there are no kernel messages about the NIC (from the driver or so).

any ideas?
is this nic damaged? should i trash it?

greetings
Sandro Minola