----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Steinkuehler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 11:14 AM
Subject: [Leaf-user] Dachstein features: Floppy vs CD

> I'm hoping to get time in the near future to make a release version of the
> floppy-based Dachstein firewall.  I am already planning on porting some of
> the CD features (like support for pkgpath.cfg and lrpkg.cfg files) to the
> floppy version, but I'm also strongly considering migrating the new backup
> scripts to the floppy version as well.
>
> While the support for partial backups is not nearly so critical when
running
> from floppy as when running from CD, it might be a useful feature in some
> situations, and the new backup scripts support all features of the
previous
> scripts, so no functionality is lost.  The big advantage is consistency
> across the floppy and CD release, making it easier to develop and
maintain.
> The main drawback is the potential for the new scripts to be confusing to
> new user, and the fact that much existing documentation will not properly
> reflect the new backup mechanisms.

I have used LRP since 2.9.4 was released, so my opinion are of someone who
(thinks he) knows what he is talking about.
Untill LEAF develops a GUI interface (not likely) I would hazard to guess
that to ANY new user LEAF will seam a bit confusing.
My opinion, merge the floppy and CD scripts together, since this would seam
to alow new versions of Dachstein (and any future versions) to be relased as
a media neatural system (there is more than one persion on this list that
uses Flash, CDROM, diskette, LS-120, ZIP, and Hard Disk). This also reduces
version support since tech support would based on Dachstein v.x.x.x instead
of Dachstein v.x.x.x (Media).

> I'd like to hear from anyone who's used a recent Dachstein CD release and
> previous floppy release.  I'm specifically interested in how confusing (or
> intuitive) you found the backup routines, and any thoughts or concerns you
> might have about making the CD backup routines the 'standard issue' for
all
> flavors of Dachstein.

Changing the destination on Dachstein CD through me for a loop at first
(untill I relized it was trying to backup to a CD) since I was used to
Eigerstein2BETA, but beyond that, I would like to just see some
documentation (the bane of Open Source Projects) since im still fuzzy about
the backup options.